One of my Level One students created a beautiful piece of music about nature. She wrote the notes out on staff paper herself. She had dynamics, lyrics, repetition. She used the damper pedal. It was so creative. Sometimes my students amaze me. This was one of those moments. Then I wondered just what my other students might create if we tried composing music. Wouldn’t it be fun to have a friendly competition?
Students are invited to compose music for the Spring Fever Composition Competition!
All the compositions we make will be put into a music book. Everyone in my studio will get a copy so we can enjoy each other’s work. I will also contribute some pieces to the book. One composition will be selected from each age group (5-6, 7-9, 10-13, 14+) based on quality of sounds, ease of playing, balance, repetition, form and creativity. The winners of the competition will receive a $10 Itunes card and be featured on this website playing their compositions.
1) It must be your original work. Copying other people’s music is not allowed.
2) You can enter up to 3 pieces of music.
3) You can create lyrics (or words) but they are not required.
4) Your music should be about nature. That could be anything from dinosaurs to the ocean, moon, trees, rocks, insects, germs. Let your imaginations fire up!
5) It must be turned in by March 31st, 2014.